Thursday, January 21, 2021

FAFSA Changes

  

Major FAFSA changes coming your way
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid will be undergoing significant changes and in my latest blog post and video, I share what you need to know about the future FAFSA's new look.

Tucked into federal pandemic relief legislation, which Congress passed during the Christmas holidays, was a dramatic overhaul to the FAFSA and financial aid rules.

Last week, I talked to Mark Kantrowitz, a nationally prominent financial aid expert, who knows more about the upcoming FAFSA changes that just about anyone in the nation. I’d urge you to listen to my conversation with Mark and read my blog post about what's ahead. 

FAFSA winners and losers

The aim of the legislation was to simplify the FAFSA and it will for many families, but it will make it more complicated for many others.

Among the people who will be impacted by the changes include:

  • Separated and divorced parents.
  • Households that will have two or more children in college at once.
  • Families where grandparents or others outside the immediate family want to help with college costs.

In my post, I also address the question of whether the CSS Profile, the aid application that the majority of prestigious private colleges use, will adopt any of the FAFSA changes.

I hope you take a look!

Lynn O'Shaughnessy