Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Good News and the Bad News

In the Guidance Office, we are given many opportunities to deal with delivering both good news and bad news.  These are the joys and sorrows of being a guidance counselor.  In my experience, I like to start with bad and finish with good, so here goes....

The Bad News
I, Michael Kulp, will no longer be serving as one of the guidance counselors at North Oconee High School.  Having been here for all of its 12 years of existence, I have enjoyed the best 12 years of my professional life.  Serving the parents and students of North Oconee has introduced friendships with some of the finest people I have ever gotten to know.  This is an amazing school, a fact that I can both appreciate as a professional and as a parent.  The teachers of this school are among the finest with which I have ever worked, and have been a blessing to me and my family.  I am leaving this department in incredibly capable hands of two of the best guidance counselors in the state, Dr. Christy Conley, who will take over the department chair responsibilities and Ms. Leslie Dooley. I know with their leadership, North Oconee will continue to offer the best guidance services.  Let me finish this by saying that I love this school and the students who come here each day to learn and stretch themselves for their best.  I can walk away to a new challenge knowing that I have served with all my energy and concern.  As much as I feel that I have given, I have received so much more. That is a good life lesson to end on- pour yourself in to some worthwhile endeavor, and you will always get something amazing in return.

I will be in the office this summer working to help with this transition so that little interruption takes place.  It is my hope that both parents and students will join me, a fellow parent, in welcoming the new counselor and demonstrating why being a Titan is the best. Thank you Titan Family.

Mike Kulp

The Good News
Ok, this announcement is about to take a turn for the better.  I would like to announce that my replacement, has been approved by the Oconee County Board of Education.  Ms. Betsy Bell will take over the responsibilities of serving students with the last names that begin with the letters A through F.  Here is a note of introduction written by Betsy:

Hi NOHS Community! My name is Betsy Bell, and I am excited to be joining your community next year as part of the Counseling Department. I have been a School Counselor for the last 4 years at Winder-Barrow High School in Barrow County.

I am a product of Oconee County Schools and graduated from OCHS in 2005. I graduated with a B.S. degree in Family and Consumer Science from The University of Georgia in 2009 (Go Dawgs!). During this time, I shadowed and volunteered with the wonderful people in the NOHS Counseling Department, and I knew then that I wanted to pursue a career in School Counseling. I earned my M.Ed. in School Counseling at Georgia State University and finished my Ed.S. at UGA in 2015.


I do not believe there is a better career in the world! High School is such an important time to learn, grow, have fun, and develop goals and plans for the future. I am passionate about working with students on academic, emotional/social, and career topics, and I am greatly looking forward to meeting you in August! Go Titans!