The Emerging Rural Leaders Program at the University of Chicago allows select high school freshmen and juniors from rural and small-town high schools to take advantage of two fully-funded summer programs during our Summer Session. Each program gives students the chance to explore a college atmosphere, develop their leadership skills, and spend time on UChicago’s campus. Applications for both Emerging Rural Leaders I & II are now open on our Summer Session website: https://summer.uchicago.edu/
programs/emerging-rural- leaders. Please see below for more details, deadlines, and requirements!
Emerging Rural Leaders I: Freshmen: July 19-25, 2020
- This week-long program takes place the summer between a student’s freshman and sophomore years of high school. During this program, students interested in developing their leadership skills will take part in faculty-led programming exploring different academic disciplines and opportunities across campus. Students will discuss what it means to be a leader in their communities, engage with UChicago professors and students, as well as participate in fun group activities around the city of Chicago.
- In order to apply, students must submit an application (available here) and a high school transcript. There is also an optional nomination form available on the website, which can be filled out by either counselors or teachers looking to support students applying to the program.
- The priority deadline is March 1. Students who apply by the priority deadline will be notified in late March of an admission decision. Between March 2 and April 1, there will be a rolling admissions period during which students can expect to hear an admission decision within two weeks of submission.
- For Emerging Rural Leaders I, students must be current freshmen and at least 15 years old by the start of the program.
Emerging Rural Leaders II: Juniors: June 20 – July 10, 2020
- This three-week program takes place the summer between a student’s junior and senior years of high school. Selected students will gain exposure to a subject closely related to their academic area of interest by taking a Summer Session Pathways or Immersion course of their choosing. During the three weeks, students will also have the chance to explore the city of Chicago, meet new friends from around the world, and participate in programming to help them navigate the college application process.
- In order to apply, students must complete the full Summer Session Application, which is available here. Students must indicate that they are applying for the Emerging Rural Leaders scholarship on the “Financial Aid & Scholarship Program” page of the application. More details regarding the Summer Session Application process can be found here.
- The deadline for applications is February 26, 2020.
- For Emerging Rural Leaders II, students must be current juniors and at least 15 years old by the start of the program.
There is no application fee for either program.
All expenses for both Emerging Rural Leaders I & II are covered by scholarship thanks to a generous donation from the Trott Family Foundation. Students will also receive a travel stipend for costs associated with travel to/from the program.